Warm Citrus Salad
- 1 bunch Arugula leaves, washed and dried well
- 2 navel oranges, segmented*, saving the juice
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Pignoli nuts, lightly toasted
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- *Segment the oranges: Using a sharp knife cut the ends off the oranges, then cut away the peel following the curves of the fruit, being careful not to cut into the fruit itself. Holding the orange over a medium bowl, Hold the orange in one hand and with the knife in the other, carefully cut in between the membranes and remove the orange sections. Place into a serving bowl.
- Make the dressing: In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the shallots and sauté until translucent. Add the juices from the oranges and the vinegar and cook slowly until reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the arugula in the serving bowl with the orange segments, pour the warm dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Top with the pignoli nuts and season with the salt and pepper.
NOTE: The oranges can be segmented ahead of time, simply drain from the juice when you’re ready to make the dressing. This salad can be easily doubled or tripled for a crowd pleaser!